Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Watch Your Step

I was walking through Tompkins Square Park the other day and as I passed by the playground I heard a little boy of no more than 4 yell to another to watch out for the lava and not to step in it.

Something occurred to me then that never had before.

Children are obsessed with lava and the fact that it could suddenly spout up in a pool anywhere at any moment.

All children. Ask any kid what they are afraid of stepping in when they are in the playground... 9 times out of 10 they are going to come back with lava.

I was terrified of it as a kid. Lava and the occasional pool of acid were underneath almost every piece of playground equipment.

Who is it that teaches us about lava at such a young age? I don't remember who taught me... but it must have been quite a frightening lesson to make me so fearful of it. I don't think it was the Bernstein Bears that taught me about it... but it may have been Richard Scary.

Murder, kidnapping, abuse, torture are nothing to little kids. But watch your step... you might not break your Momma's back but you could be melting in lava.

No comments: